Sundays are the day that I typically do my long run. My long runs are a training benchmark in seeing how I've improved in my running and also they push my body to adapt to running longer distances. I currently follow an intermittent fasting schedule of 16 hours fasted and 8 hours fed. By the time that I finish my run, it's been 16+ hours since I've last ate and I am ready to eat. I fantasize about what I'll make when I'm working through harder sections of the run and it helps me to know that I will refuel my body with a healthy and delicious meal when I finish my run. This Sunday I finished a milestone distance of 4.7 miles and I did it in a new record time of 1 hour. I decided that was worth celebrating and my favorite way to celebrate hard work is... pancakes.
This recipe aims to be macro friendly but it is a refuel meal, so the caloric intake is higher than a typical meal. If you are not refueling from a training session, try cutting this recipe in half for an everyday meal. Some unique things about these pancakes...
- No Syrup, No Butter: Maple syrup is delicious and I love it, but it is a caloric carb bomb. It's also really easy to over consume since the want is to keep pouring it on. This recipe omits that usual pancake toppings and substitutes for a powdered peanut and cacao sauce. This sauce gives all the moisture minus all the unnecessary sugar.
- Protein Sneak Attack: I have been leaning towards protein from whole food sources instead of powders and bars. To sneak protein into these pancakes I used sprouted flour, hemp hearts, powdered peanut butter, and served them with tempeh and soy milk on the side.
- Superfood Boost: This recipe incorporates some nutrient power houses. Sprouted Flour gives vitamins, minerals, fiber and phytochemicals. Plus, it adds a nice chewy texture. Shredded Coconut provides healthy fats, fiber, manganese, copper and selenium. Hemp Hearts provide protein and essential fatty acids. Cacao Nibs give fiber, magnesium, and potassium.
Vegan Coconut Banana Sprouted Flour Pancakes with Chocolate Peanut Butter Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Ground Flaxseed
- 1 Tsp Chia Seeds
- 60g Sprouted Flour
- 15g Shredded Coconut
- 1/2 Cup Banana Slices
- 2 Tbsp Dark Chocolate Chips
- 3/4 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/8 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Brown Sugar
- Water (enough to thin out batter and sauce)
- 3 Tbsp PB2 with Premium Chocolate
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tbsp Hemp Hearts
- 2 Tsp Cacao Nibs
- Mix together flaxseed and chia seeds with enough water to form a egg white like texture, let sit.
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and coconut flakes together.
- Add "egg" mix to the dry mix. Then, add enough water to make a pourable consistency.
- Heat a pan and spray with cooking spray.
- Spoon in the mixture, about 4 spoonfuls per pancake (4in pancakes).
- Once frying, place a few banana slices and chocolate chips in the pancakes.
- Spray the uncooked sides quickly with cooking spray.
- Flip the pancakes once golden brown.
- To make the sauce... mix together PB2, vanilla extract, and enough water to make a pourable consistency.
- To plate... place pancakes into stacks, pour sauce on top, sprinkle hemp hearts and cacao nibs, and top with remaining bananas.
- Serve with tempeh on the side and soy milk for extra protein.
P: 26g, C: 104g, F: 27g, kCal: 660
Thanks for stopping by! I am not a nutritionist but I am a nutrition junkie. I love looking for new recipes that help me achieve optimum health and wellness. I hope you enjoy these and if you have something to add or share, feel free to leave a comment.