Simple Vegan Sweet Potato Soup
With the fall weather finally settling in, I have been inspired to start cooking all of my fall favorites. For me, fall food is all about seasonal produce and comforting foods. I love making soup and serving it will simple crusty bread. Cooking with root vegetables and lots of herbs is one of my favorite combinations. This soup was made on a night where the weather was just starting to drop and I wanted a big plant based bowl of nutrition.
This recipe is crazy low in calories. Only 234 per 4 cup serving! Serve this one alongside bread or a sandwich.
SIMPLE VEGAN SWEET POTATO SOUP
- 5 Cups of Water
- 3 Cups of Yellow Squash (Yellow Zucchini or Acorn Squash work as well)
- 2 Sweet Potatoes (about 4-5 Cups)
- 1 Stalk of Celery
- 2 Cubes of "Not Chick'n" Bouillon
- 1 Cup Canned Coconut Milk
- 2 Tsp Pink Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Thyme (fresh or ground)
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Sage
- In a large pot, place water and turn heat on high.
- Cube up the sweet potato into 1 to 2 inch pieces. Place in water.
- Add in the bouillon cubes, the salt, and the thyme.
- Slice up the celery and add to pot.
- Cube up the Yellow Squash into 2 inch pieces and add to pot.
- At this point, everything should be boiling. Lower the heat to a simmer and partially cover the pot. Allow the soup to simmer for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, uncover and add coconut milk and sage.
- Everything should be very soft at this point. Take an immersion blender and blend the soup until it is smooth and creamy.
- Taste for salt and add more if needed.
- To serve, top with fresh ground pepper and sage sprigs. This soup goes great with a simple piece of toasted bread spread with coconut oil.
P: 5g, C: 45g, F: 6g, kCal: 254
*Recipe makes about 12 cups. Macros are for a 4 Cup serving.
Thanks for stopping by! I am not a nutritionist but I am a nutrition junkie. I love looking for new recipes that help me achieve optimum health and wellness. I hope you enjoy these and if you have something to add or share, feel free to leave a comment.