Vegan Cheesy Rice with Smokey Tempeh and Veggies
Sometimes a big bowl of rice sounds really good. I enjoy it just plain with salt, but once in a while it needs something more. One of the best things to pair with rice is a "cheesy" taste. What works great for this is Nutritional Yeast. If you're not yet using Nutritional Yeast, it's time to start. The nutrition profile is unbelievable. For those of us who are plant based, it is a great way to get in complex B vitamins (B-6 and B-12). It's also loaded in protein. It is easy to sprinkle onto almost any savory dish, so try it out!
VEGAN CHEESY RICE WITH SMOKEY TEMPEH AND VEGGIES
- 1 Cup Cooked Brown Rice & Kamut Mix (plain brown rice works too)
- 3 Oz. Tempeh
- 3 Cups Rainbow Swiss Chard
- 1 Cup Zucchini
- 1 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 2 Tsp Liquid Smoke
- Cook the rice mix ahead of time according to instructions. Keep in the fridge until ready to use.
- Cut the tempeh into cubes and place in a frying pan coated with cooking spray on medium high heat.
- While the tempeh cooks, chop the zucchini and swiss chard.
- Add the veggies into the pan with the tempeh and stir everything together. Add a little salt, pepper, and paprika (or all purpose seasoning) to the mix.
- Meanwhile, take your desired amount of rice and add to a small saucepan to reheat. Add a little water into the pan along with the nutritional yeast.
- Cook down the veggies and tempeh by adding in a little water and stirring. The goal is to steam them as well as fry them. Once the veggies are mostly cooked down, add in the liquid smoke and cook until liquid has evaporated.
- The rice should be hot at this point. Taste it and add salt as necessary for your taste.
- Place everything in a bowl and serve with hot sauce.
P: 33g, C: 85g, F: 7g, kCal: 500
Thanks for stopping by! I am not a nutritionist but I am a nutrition junkie. I love looking for new recipes that help me achieve optimum health and wellness. I hope you enjoy these and if you have something to add or share, feel free to leave a comment.